Sunday, May 31, 2009

I peeled a log!




So, finally a little bit about my internship!  So, I’m up here living in this crazy little wood cabin in the middle of nowhere in Grand Teton…. 

At work we’ve been working a lot on getting caught up on the 106 Compliance Reports that have to be done for almost all of the preservation projects within the park.  The major ones have to go through the state SHPO office while regular maintenance gets to skip that process through the Programmatic Agreement among the National Park Service, the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, and the National Conference on State Historic Preservation Officers for Compliance with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act.  I’ve also been writing some completion reports that have to be done when projects are completed.  So, tons of paperwork…  but it’s not that bad.

Now, fun stuff…  the center is rehabilitating an old dude ranch to use as their training center in the future and right now they are in the process of stabilizing the main cabin, Hammond Cabin.  Today, Lauren, the other intern from last year, and I stripped a log that was then installed at the base of the wall where the previous one had deteriorated too much to be saved.  Very cool, but my back’s going to kill me tomorrow.  I did the whole left hand side of the log!

Anyway, miss you all…  This weekend is potluck night at Sky and I’m making gumbo.  Should be about twenty of us sitting around drinking beer, listening to people play music  and watching the elk graze….


No comments:

Post a Comment