Friday, May 15, 2009

Okay, so if I happen to make it out of Moose at the end of the summer, there's a possibility I won't make it past Denver...

Denver is definitely one of my new favorite places.  There are SO many things to do in this city. 

This morning I got up early and drove out to the Garden of the Gods Park in Colorado Springs.  Very impressive....  the rocks and the guys climbing them.  Colorado Springs was also very pretty.  Imagine being able to wake up and look out your window to see a snowy Pike's Peak. 
 Awesome.  





I also reallly wanted to stop and take a tour of the Air Force Academy Chapel, but I left my cell phone in Denver and was worried that the people from the internship would call.  
I'm moving in tomorrow at the ranch...   Cross your fingers that all goes well!  I have a long drive tomorrow before I get there too.  



















SO, as for super cool things about Denver:

First, the REI store is incredible.  I may be biased, but it's definitely one of my favorite adaptive reuse projects ever.  The interior is just INCREDIBLE.  Sadly, I didn't get to take any pictures inside, but I will be back.  No doubt about that.  This is from the architect's website:

"REI’s Denver Flagship store responds to the historical industrial nature of its building and site –for more than 50 years, furnaces in the building burned coal to generate electricity for Denver’s streetcar system. Much of the landmark’s structure was left intact, requiring restoration of nearly 75,000 square feet of the building’s brick walls, and utilizing its steel structure to support floors inserted within the building shell. Existing interior elements were kept as artifacts. The design team restored original wood windows and created historic replicas for pieces that had deteriorated. A landscaped courtyard and store entry extends a public park system, creating adjacencies to major bike routes and a whitewater kayak course where shoppers can test paddling products."

Second, I have fallen in love with a part of town here called Highlands.  Very cute, very tiny homes.  Many of them brick and in Craftsman style.  Google "Highlands Denver Real Estate."  

Third, I have managed to somewhat figure out my way around the city.  We all know that my sense of direction is not the greatest.  

Well, last night in Denver and I'm off to bed.  Having breakfast with a family friend in Laramie, WY and then on to the ranch!!

So hello to everyone back home and please send me addresses!!!  I just got some watercolor postcards to paint, so if I get an address you get a mini painting!  Miss you all so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment